For years the Mediterranean diet has been one of the most studied and effective diets to follow in order to achieve a healthy and balanced diet.
The Mediterranean diet is rich in fruit, vegetables, complex carbs and sources of health fats in particular Omega 3s. Omega 3s can be sourced from oily fish, eggs, fortified dairy products, avocado, nuts and seeds. If lacking in your diet it can also be derived from supplements such as cod liver oil.
Omega 3’s help with brain development, reducing overall cholesterol and has heart protective properties. Including sources of omega 3 in the diet is very important for ongoing health and wellbeing.
Ideally you should aim to have oily fish 2-3 times a week to meet your recommended omega 3 needs. If you want to bring together many of the great benefits of the Mediterranean diet, look no further than this salmon risoni recipe.
Salmon Mediterranean Pasta
- Serves: 4 people
- Prep Time: 5-10minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Macronutrient Information (per serve):
- 585kcal (2448KJ)
- 34.6g Protein
- 51.6g Carbs
- 24.5g Fat (5.4g of which saturates)
- 4 Salmon Fillets
- 1 red onion diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed
- ½ to 1 full red chilli diced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 red capsicum diced
- ½ to 1 medium-sized egg plant, chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of dried herbs
- 2 lemon slices
- 750-1L veg stock
- 200g Risoni (Orzo)
- Extra virgin olive oil for cooking/baking
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Whilst the oven is preheating, prep the veg and divide into necessary quantities.
- When ready, place two salmon fillets onto parchment paper. Sprinkle salt, pepper, paprika, dried herbs and ½ of the crushed garlic onto the fillets. For extra zest add those slices of lemon on top of each fillet, drizzle in olive oil and place in oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, lets get your pasta on the go!
- Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat. Place olive oil, garlic, and red onion in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes (until red onion starts to become translucent – be careful not to burn your garlic and onion.
- Then add your cut up zucchini, egg plant into the pan and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- When ready, last add in your diced capsicums and red chilli and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Now, it is time to get saucy! Add in your can of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and sprinkling of balsamic vinegar (as much or as little as you desire). Mix the veg evenly throughout before slowly adding 500ml of veg stock. Keep at medium-high heat until your sauce starts to bubble.
- Once bubbling, bring to a simmer (medium-low heat) and add in your orzo pasta and mix evenly. Your orzo pasta will take around 12-15 minutes to cook through.
- Continue to stir your dish every so often, making sure to not allow the pasta to stick to the bottom of the pan. You may need to add additional veg stock (up to an additional 500ml) slowly to keep this from happening. Once cooked through take off the heat and place to the side.
- Assemble your dish with evenly dividing the pasta between two plates, then place a salmon fillet onto each plate.
- Sprinkle with pepper and enjoy!
How Do I Book An Appointment with Precision Physio for Help?
We’re taking the health of our clients, members and staff very seriously and our preference would be for you to call to book an appointment so that we can make sure to explain our approach to keeping you safe. You can call any of these numbers to schedule a session:
- Precision Physio Concord: 02 9736 3950
- Precision Physio St Marys: 02 9623 2220
- Precision Physio Mt Druitt: 02 9188 2552
Evolving with the current environment, we are also now offering online appointments, meaning that we can support anyone who is unable to leave their home. Sessions are done via our state of the art Telehealth system and as long as you have a laptop or tablet with an inbuilt camera, or a phone with camera, we can help! Online consultations would be especially effective for Nutrition and Diet based session.
To learn more about online consultations, please call us on any of the numbers listed above.